Sunday, June 20, 2010

Time Shifting for a Technophobe

Let it be said that work is tiring. Although I love my job, I often come home wanting nothing more than to simply melt into the couch and watch TV. Throw in a frosty soda and some popcorn, and I'm completely set for the evening.

Although I get to watch a wide variety of shows with the best satellite tv VA has to offer, I'm a medical buff at heart, and House MD and Grey's Anatomy have long been my favorites. However, in the past two years I've taken on a managerial position, and as a result I can't always be there for the live broadcasts.

Over the years TV aficionados have embraced a wide variety of time-shifting methods to deal with situations like this. For years the venerable VCR reigned supreme, but even the most programmable VCRs were completely user unfriendly when it came to programming. Tapes were clunky and inconvenient; sometimes I would come home to find I had accidentally taped over a favorite show, or that an aging tape had finally given up the ghost.

I haven't had any of these problems since I got a Digital Video Recorder. Even as a self-proclaimed technophobe, I've found it easy and enjoyable to use. I simply hooked up my Satelite TV to the my DVR, and the rest is history. Now I can get my House fix whenever I please; not bad for a technophobe.

No comments: