Sunday, January 15, 2012

Our First Baby

I appreciate the guest post, Jewel Rodgers

My husband and I recently had our first baby, and we are absolutely over the moon. It’s simultaneously been the biggest blessing and the hardest challenge we’ve ever encountered, and we’re loving every second. As it turns out, my parents and my in-laws are also loving every second. Between the four of them, I received no less than twenty five calls during the first week we were home with the baby. Don’t get me wrong—I think it is absolutely wonderful that they are so excited about their first grandchild, and that they want to be notified of every single milestone, regardless of how insignificant. But the thing is, I am running on about 24% of my usual amount of sleep. Anytime that I am not actively engaged in feeding or changing the baby, I want to be sleeping. So when I get a phone call the second I lay the baby down, I get a little frustrated. My husband came up with the perfect solution: email. Our parents are free to email us as often as they want for updates, and either my husband or I will write them back as soon as we’re able. It’s working perfectly. The only problem was that up until the baby was born, we didn’t have internet. We live in a really rural area and didn’t have an internet provider available to us…or so we thought. Desperate for an alternative, we stumbled upon Internet in Arizona. We signed up that day, and things have been running a lot smoother ever since.

No comments: