Thursday, August 5, 2010

My nephew’s violin recital

Guest post written by Charity Gonzalez

My 11-year-old nephew is involved in so many different lessons and extracurricular activities than I think I’ve participated in during my 53 years. He, my sister and my brother-in-law live nearby so I get to see a lot of his games and recitals, including his recent violin recital.

Unfortunately, the violin isn’t like other instruments where you can play something simple as a beginner and it sound great. However, Nick’s pretty good to just have been playing for a few years by now so I was even more excited to attend his recital. Also, I was eager to try out my new miracle ear hearing aids that I got when my hearing loss seemed to start affecting my everyday conversations.

Nick did a fantastic job on his songs – which I’ve forgotten the names of – and I could actually hear him playing it clearly. I wasn’t really sure what the protocol is for boys at recitals. (I know girls’ parents most of the time give them flowers.) So I took him out to eat at his favorite restaurant, Outback Steakhouse instead where I also ordered the biggest piece of chocolate desert there was on the menu.

No comments: