Monday, March 7, 2011

How to Fall in Love

How to fall in love is a question a lot of people ask. Young people ask it more than older people because older people know that you will know when you are in love with someone. People over 50 are more inclined to ask what love is rather than how to fall in love.

So what is love? Good question. People have been trying to define what love is for thousands of years, without much success. Scientists can tell you what chemical changes take place in the body when you are “in love” but they can’t tell you what love is.

Can I tell you what love is? Nope, nor can anyone else tell you what love is, at least if they are being honest. We call love an emotion but it’s certainly more than just an emotion. For some it’s an all consuming desire to be with someone, to take care of them, to protect them and keep them from harm.

For others it’s not the big rush of desire that is love but the deep feeling of satisfaction they get from being with the person they love. There are so many ways to show love that even the great writers get into the act. “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”

For some there are many ways to love and for others there is but one way. I don’t know who’s right but I certainly know when I’m in love or when I love someone.

No comments: